The UN is to provide aid to Eastern Ghouta, an enclave of rebels opposed to the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad, which has been hit by deadly bombardments in the last 15 days.
In a statement issued after the meeting of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the international organization said that the United Nations “and its partners will be carrying out humanitarian aid in Douma in Eastern Ghouta on March 5th.”
“A convoy of 46 trucks carrying medicines and food for 27,500 people” is expected to enter the enclave outside Damascus, the Syrian capital, the statement said.
The UN added that “field teams will be ready to do what is necessary for the aid to reach it’s destination” the population of Eastern Ghouta, besieged since 2013.
The UN humanitarian coordinator in Syria, Ali al-Zaatari, who will travel at the head of the convoy, expressed his hope that Monday’s operation aimed at dealing with severe food and drug shortages will be “followed by others “.
The convoy of humanitarian aid is in route to a population approaching 400,000, and will enter eastern Ghouta during the five-hour daily ceasefire, that occurred for a period of 30 days throughout Syria as set out in the United Nations Security Council resolution, on Tuesday.
The UN said it had already received “authorizations” to help “70,000 people” regarding humanitarian aid which in the last 15 days was bombed by the air force and artillery , killing more than 650 civilians, including women and children.
Meagan Kozlovs is a reporter for Debate Report. She’s worked and interned at Global News Toronto and CHECX. Megan is based in Toronto and covers issues affecting her city. In addition to her severe milk shake addiction, she’s a Netflix enthusiast, a red wine drinker, and a voracious reader.