There is an outbreak of poop-eating slugs that is infecting Hawaiians with brain parasites right now.
A study has been published on Monday. They have found that people are getting the disease after they ate infected mollusks, half slug, half snail.
The nightmare comes from the rat lungworm, which is a neurological disease that spreads through animal feces. It can get to humans through infected rodents, slugs, snails, or any other animal that acts as a host to the parasite. This comes from the officials from The Hawaii State Department of Health.
When do humans get the disease?
Humans that get in contact with this parasite when they eat the animals that are carriers of the disease, but the meat is raw or uncooked.
What are the symptoms of the disease?
The symptoms are as it follows: stiffness of the neck, headaches, fever, the feeling that the skin hurts, nausea, and vomiting. However, they vary in how severe they are. In some cases, this disease leads to short-term facial paralysis and even light sensitivity. We should also mention the rare forms of meningitis.
Between the years 2007 and 2017, there were about 82 cases in Hawaii of rat lungworm from this parasite. This comes from Aloha State’s health officials.
The medical experts from the state and from the government will make the team to get the outbreak under control, according to Wil Okabe, from the Office of the Governor. Officials are not only targeting Hawaii, but they are looking at it as a state-wide scale situation.
Is there a cure for the disease?
There is no treatment for this disease, so they need to find the best ways to prevent its spread. They also need to educate the public – they see it as a crucial thing to do.
Meagan Kozlovs is a reporter for Debate Report. She’s worked and interned at Global News Toronto and CHECX. Megan is based in Toronto and covers issues affecting her city. In addition to her severe milk shake addiction, she’s a Netflix enthusiast, a red wine drinker, and a voracious reader.