Brave Browser Will Pay You to View Ads. Can You Turn It Into Cash?

What you might have heard until now about the Brave browser is that it’s based on privacy. Well, now it is looking into creating a new advertising model in which 70% of the revenue will be sent back to the users who view those ads. The other 30% of the revenue will go to the developers of the browser.

It sounds awesome to be paid to watch ads. But how will you as a user get that reward and can you turn it into cash? Let’s see what the company’s CEO has to say about this.

Brave Rewards – the BAT Token

Users that watch ads will receive Brave Rewards which will be digital tokens called BAT. The test build of the desktop version of the browser is now live through an opt-in option. Once you activate it, you will receive ads.

Brave Software, the browser’s dev will roll out the actual token rewarding will roll out in a few weeks. However, the company estimates that users will earn about $60 – $70 this year and almost $224 the next one.

But here’s the catch: you cannot convert those tokens into cash – or at least not yet. You will be able to use them to reward your favorite publishers online like news websites or Youtube personalities, explains the company’s CEO, Brendan Eich (also former Mozilla CEO):

The idea is for users to get the big revenue share and give back to their top sites and creators.

Eich came up with the idea when Brave browser was launched in 2016. The browser comes by default with an ad blocker. However, Eich said that he does not want to eliminate them – he wants to take out the web tracking from them to preserve digital privacy:

Unlike conventional digital ads, ad matching happens directly on the user’s device, so a user’s data is never sent to anyone, including Brave.

How Watching Ads on Brave Browser Works?

You will see a small pop-up in the corner of your window, and you can choose to click it (or ignore it). If you click it, the full ad will appear in a private tab. The ad-matching will only look at the keywords from the web pages you load, and you can also select how many ads you want to see in an hour.

This year Brave will have ads appear on websites you visit, and 15% of it will go to the user. The rest of 70% goes to publishers and content creators that host the ads, and the rest of 15% goes to Brave.

The company concluded in the blog post that the online advertising system would be reformed and non-invasive:

Brave Ads remove intermediaries that exploit user data and thrive on surveillance, and instead offer a consent-based system.

In the future, Brave will also allow BAT to be used to pay for premium content on the internet and let users cash out the tokens, added Eich on Twitter.

Recommended For You

Jeff Wilkinson

About the Author: Jeff Wilkinson

Jeff Wilkinson  is a Senior Politics Reporter at Debate Report covering provincial and national politics, . Before joining  Debate Report, Jeff worked on several provincial campaigns including Jack Layton. Jeff has worked as a freelance journalist in Toronto, having been published by over 20 outlets including CBC, the Center for Media and VICE.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *