It is a symptom of health due to bacterial and virus infections. The body temperature will rise above the normal temperature of 98 or 100 Fahrenheit. Fever can occur due to various types of illnesses that are being experienced by someone. Fever shows the body is in an unhealthy condition or is struggling against the disease.
The ways to know if you have a fever is varies. But the most accurate way is to use a thermometer. If you do not have a thermometer, you can still identify fever in several ways. Here we learn more about how to tell a fever.
How to Check the Symptoms of Fever
- Hold the forehead or neck of a person
Sensing the temperature of a person’s forehead or neck is the simplest way to tell if a person has a fever or not. When the temperature above the usual temperature, then be sure the fever. Here’s how to check someone’s body temperature.
Use the back of the hand to feel the temperature of the body, because the front of the palm of the hand is not sensitive.
Do not hold or feel body temperature on the hands or feet, because these two parts can be cold when the fever is in peak.
It’s just the first step to know about a person’s circumstances. So, can not tell accurately. Could be someone’s skin feels cool when the fever is high and can be very hot, but someone does not have a fever.
Check the body temperature in the room that is not too hot and not too cold. Do not do body temperature checks when someone has just finished exercising.
- Check the skin, whether red or flush
When a person has a fever, his skin will turn red, but this is not detectable to everyone, because it also depends on the color of the skin. If a person’s skin is dark, then it is very difficult or even can not see the sign of a fever.
- Pay attention to his face, whether the person is lethargic
Next, how to know if you have a fever is to check the situation. Whether he is lethargic or not. When fever strikes, a person tends to experience extreme fatigue and lethargy. He will rarely move from bed or have no mood to speak.
Children who suffer from fever, he does not talk, play even loss of appetite.
- Ask the person if they feel achy.
Pain and pain in the joints also become one of the signs of fever. Ask if he feels such pain or not. In addition to pain, fever sufferers also experience headaches.
- Find out if the person is dehydrated.
Dehydration can be a sign of fever. For that, ask this person. Is he often thirsty or feel his body dry. Knowing dehydration can also by asking the color of urine, if the color of this bright yellow urine indicates that the person’s body is dehydrated and fever. If the urine color is darker, then this is a sign that the person is dehydrated.
- Ask if the person is nauseated or not
Nausea is a major indication for fever and some other diseases such as the flu. Find out whether he can withstand food or nausea and frequent vomiting.
- Is he shivering or sweating
Then, how to know if a person has a fever is to pay attention to his body, whether chills or sweating. The body of a fever patient usually shivers even though others in the same room do not experience such things.
Body temperature may change, sometimes someone feels cold and sometimes feel the heat. Temperature up and down is one indication of fever.
- Seizures in children who have too high temperatures
Seizures can occur in children with fever with too high temperatures. In fact, if the body temperature above 103 children can experience hallucinations. Based on research shows that 1 in 20 children experience febrile seizures in some parts of the body. Follow the following ways to treat febrile seizures.
- Put your child in a clean place and clear space
- Do not hold up your child during the fit and do not put anything into his mouth during the fit because they will not swallow it.
- Stay with your child until the seizure ends
- Put your child in their side in a recovery position while they recover.
Knowing the condition of the fever, is it severe?
- Seizures are one of the characteristics that the fever is already severe.
Usually seizures last only up to 3 minutes. If you notice that the seizure lasts for more than 3 minutes, call your doctor or experts immediately.
This is a sign that the fever is serious, call 911 emergency number, to get ambulance assistance. You are expected to be always next to your child. Seizures can also be accompanied by other problems such as vomiting, stiff neck, extreme drowsiness and breathing problems.
- Call your doctor if the fever does not heal or gets worse
If your child is between 6 and 24 months of age, and he has a high body temperature of up to 102 Fahrenheit, contact your doctor immediately.
Encourage your child to get plenty of rest and give plenty of fluids such as drinks or juices.
- If you have abdominal pain, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, seek medical care immediately.
Why is that? All of the above indications are symptoms of meningitis, prompt and appropriate treatment is needed because the disease is life-threatening.
- Call the doctor if the patient is hallucinating, anxious, or confused.
Hallucinations, anxiety are some signs of the many signs of pneumonia.
- Get care if the person is bleeding in the stool, urinating. This is a serious health symptom that should not be underestimated.
- If the immune system weakens due to AIDS, cancer, get medical care immediately.
The condition of the body with fever is a sign of weakened immunity.
- Ask doctor’s advice about other serious conditions that can cause a fever. Fever can be caused by various conditions of the body, then consult with the doctor about the possibility of febrile illness.
How to Treat a Fever at Home
- You can treat fever at home if the patient’s body temperature is still below 103 Fahrenheit, and his age is above 18 years.
A person’s natural fever is the body’s attempt to heal itself. Usually the fever will heal by itself after a few days.
Fever can be lowered by taking the right treatment. When fever is advised to drink plenty of water, one does not need to take medication if the condition is not severe, but to provide comfort can be given fever dampers such as aspirin and ibuprofen.
If the fever has lasted more than 3 days, contact your doctor immediately for medical attention.
- If there are no severe symptoms, treat fever with plenty of rest and drink enough fluids.
Children and adolescents should not take aspirin because it is not good for their health. The drug is potentially against Reyen’s disease. For that, they should consume plenty of water and plenty of rest.
If the child’s body temperature is below 102 f or 38.9 C, they can still be treated at home.
But if the body temperature is not reduced for 3 days or there are other symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.
Emmy Skylar started working for Debate Report in 2017. Emmy grew up in a small town in northern Manitoba. But moved to Ontario for university. Before joining Debate Report, Emmy briefly worked as a freelance journalist for CBC News. She covers politics and the economy.